Here are a few relevant points from Wikipedia on US copyright:
- The book cannot be sold in the US because (although Mondrian died more than 70 years ago) the copyright for four of the illustrations will remain with the Mondrian / Holtzman Trust until 2022-2051.
- Wikipedia on US copyright makes these points:
- On fair use, nonprofit, educational and factual considerations are in my favour;
- Substantially goes against me as I am reproducing the whole paintings;
- The book will not affect the sale prices of paintings.
My current thought is to send copies of the new edition (3rd print) which includes the copyright notes and physically cover up the four pictures for which copyright has not expired. An alternative is to rewrite the sections showing the four pictures to use alternative paintings on which it has expired.